Tuesday, September 28, 2010

So the School Days Begin...

I really love homeschooling - before we actually start. The planning and getting everything organized. The buying of the needed curriculum and researching the best "fit" for each child. Our year looks very academic and engaging! But then...  was that something shiny outside? No? OK. Anyway, where was I?

Exactly! Let's just say that I am easily distracted and get bored rather quickly. My kids know this too and the olders tend to use it against me. I can hear them now... "Mom, this handwriting is boring can we change it up today and go to the park or something? We can finish it tomorrow." (Big smile, wink, wink). Do I do what every "good" mom/teacher does and redirect the child by helping them see the "joys" of handwriting practice? Do I share with them that it really does matter if others can read their writing (even if they are a doctor)? Sometimes. But most of the time- I am rounding up the kids and we are GONE! Cuz, it was boring and we can do it tomorrow.

Self-discipline is one of my downfalls. I have it when I really need it. Before I met Brian it was just Nate and I and I was working part-time and going to school full-time. I managed to graduate with honors and be promoted at work but that was different. I was under pressure from an outside source. Being accountable to someone else is the key for me. God knows that too so, he has put certain people in my life that help me get back on track. PTL! I am so grateful for them.

God also has made two of my olders very disciplined and they must have a schedule in order to operate. That forces me to be scheduled regardless of how I feel. A good friend always said, "You don't have to act how you feel. You are free in Jesus Christ." So true in every area of my life.

So as this school year starts (next week I might add), I will try to NOT act how I feel and pray that Jesus will be at the helm. He's a better captain then I am anyway. I can do all things through Him who stengthens me! Even school... 

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister! First paragraph, all the way! First day of school throws all my good plans out the window. Not necessarily because I'm distracted, but because LIFE happens--we woke up late, someone has an experiment and needs purple cabbage, etc. Thank the Lord for accountability!

    Love,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete